Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Something to do with Kaleta's hands

"I spend a lot of my free time playing with Lego. I broke my hand three times last year and I read something about David Beckham doing them during the World Cup and I’ve been doing them ever since. I’ve done the Taj Mahal, I’ve done all kinds of things. I can’t normally sit down for long periods of time and concentrate on one thing. I don’t really have the patience for that, but I started doing Lego when I was injured and it’s really the only thing I can just sit down and do for hours"
-Patrick Kaleta, Buffalo Sabres Right Winger
I like this quote (from here) because it inadvertently makes out Patrick Kaleta to be someone who is basically an overgrown kid with ADHD. Here is a guy raised in Erie County right outside of Buffalo who gets paid about a million dollars a year to play hockey in his hometown and he spends his free time in Legoland. If Kaleta also owns a monster truck then he is living the real-life version of what a lot of eight year-old WNY kids would say they wanted to do when they grow up.

He also says in the article, "I was pretty active as a youngster" and, in reference to hockey, "I guess it was just a thing I tried out when I was really young for a way to burn off some energy,"* which adds credibility to my ADHD diagnosis.When you put all that together with his hit-everything, headbutting, trash-talking playing style and his multiple suspensions, I definitely don't think he will be roommates with his new teammate Cody Hodgson a.k.a. the chess-loving 2009 OHL most sportsmanlike player of the year.


*: Joe Sakic also had a lot of energy to burn as a youngster so his parents put him in the basement with a puck, a stick, and a laundry machine to shoot at and that's how he developed his amazing wrist shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment